Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Introduction



I have no idea at all if anyone is ever going to read this blog; but in case, here's a little bit of background that should help set the context a bit.

I have been driving my car around the local race track during lapping days since early 2007. It really started as a whim -- one of my coworkers did track days and I became curious so thought I'd try it out. I borrowed one of his helmets and signed up for a Alfa Club day; and I have not looked back since.

The format of this blog will be pretty simple; I'll create entries for individual track days really trying to focus on the transformation from complete novice driver to whatever I'll become in the coming months/years/whatever. Along the way, I'll talk about some of the changes I've made (and will make) to the car; the mistakes and successes.

If you like this kind of thing, you might want to check out these blogs too:
  • DP Cars is a great site with plenty for everyone. His main track day car of the moment seems to be a Mini, but he's got lots of descriptions of his current cars/motorcycles, past cars/motorcycles and even tonnes of info on his prototype track-only car the DP1.
  • Bemused and Confused is a blog about the experiences of getting into track days, buying a track-only car (BMW) and the work involved in getting it track worthy.
  • David's Vehicles page is somewhat similar to DP Cars site with lots of cars/motorcycles and stories about them. It's a bit dated though, the last update was June 27, 2007; but still a good read.
I'm not really trying to compete with those great sites; I think I have something slightly different to talk about. My theme is really about my experiences as pretty much a novice working through the sport and seeing where I end up. As you'll read, I've had some good moments and some difficulties; sometimes driving related and sometimes mechanical. In some distant future, I hope to be able to look back at these blog entries and realise how far I've come; but that will have to wait for now.

So, if you're still awake... off we go to the first track day!

No comments: